family            family            family            family

You Have To Earn It!!

January 29, 2011

As a Hockey Wife with a young son...I am currently training for my "Hockey Mom Badge".  I don't want to use the term "Hockey Mom" loosely.  I am far from a true Hockey Mom, as my son is only three years old.  I do not receive my official Hockey Mom Badge of Honor until next year when my son starts playing in a league.  This will be my Beginner Hockey Mom Badge, there are many different badges you can earn...did you not know this?

You cannot be a true Hockey Mom until:
  • You get up at 4:30 am on a freezing and snowy Saturday to take your child to practice or play hockey. 
  • You must have sat for at least 325 minutes (in total) on a freezing metal bench in a cold arena during a regular season.
  • You can unsnap a cage with one hand while not spilling your coffee.
  • You waste valuable hotel points on hotels in places like London, Ontario for hockey tournaments instead of romantic vacations in London, England.
  • The smell of hockey equipment no longer makes you gag or causes your eyes to water.  
  • You buy Mr. Clean Magic Erasers in bulk at Costco to clean black puck marks off the basement wall.
From there you earn different badges, for example:
  • The mouth-guard-boiling badge
  • The skate-lacing badge
  • The jock-strap-&-cup badge
  • The hockey-bag carrying badge (My husband says "hockey bags don't have wheels")
  • The four-games-in-two days badge
There are many more badges, but you get the idea.

My son loves hockey, and has been around it from the time he was born.  He sat in the Stanley Cup when he was six months old, he has been on skates since he was barely three years old, and whenever he plays, it involves some form of hockey!  It is not for me to say whether he will become a professional hockey player like his father.  Only time and talent will tell us that.  But I will support him if it is his dream.  It takes a lot of time and commitment...and money to be a Hockey Mom, but I will wear my badges with pride! 

However, some Hockey Moms get a little too involved, and they are given special badges!!




14 comments:

Hockey Wife said...

Oh yes they do! The hockey bags we travel with most definitely have wheels! Girl, I can't lug those things through international airports by my self, while pushing a stroller and balancing a car seat! WHEELS! Get 'em!

Tales of a Hockey Wife said...

ha,ha...don't forget my husband is old(er)....he is old school. I always pack with hockey bags(so much room)...ours don't have wheels, I told you, my husband played before wheels were even invented! I just traveled with two kids and five bags...you have to get quite creative and rely on strangers!.

PS...take the car seat, let out the straps as far as they go and wear on back like a backpack...that is how I did it. Then you have your hands free for kids, stroller, and xanex!!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh...sounds like you are going to be busy busy becoming a hockey mom through and through!!! I found your blog from FTLOB's hop!!

Grace said...

I admire your fortitude and best wishes in earning all those badges.
I have to say I've seen mothers on soccer sidelines, baseball fields and other sporting events that remind me of the one in the video. I guess where there are sports, there will be those mothers out there that are back seat coaches.

Susanne said...

i have been growing up only a few meters away from the hockey area and i can almost say i have spent my childhood there. and the post you wrote is so damn true.

Ms. Sarah said...

wow that mom's brutal. Only got half way in before I shut off. Felt bad for her kid.

I have Army men to deal with my bags for me. Which I could have used in the states!

My half brothers are huge hockey fans. We would get up and freeze to go to practice with them. I remember going outside so we could warm up.

Love the picture of your son in the cup

Kelly~ Wave of Life Surf Studio said...

What a fun post~ the bulk magic eraser line cracked me up! Hi~ I am your newest follower from the blog hop & would love it if you stopped by and returned the love :)

http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/

Tales of a Hockey Wife said...

Thank you all for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I will be by your blog in the next week, and will leave a special comment for you all!

Cheers!

Crystal said...

THat's so cute. None of my 4 boys play hockey but I've heard that it's quite the demanding sport (most are..ugh!). My boys are both catchers...and I think their gear is a lot. I can't imagine lugging 4 loads of hockey euicpment around. Way to go, mama!

Calla said...

haha... this is too funny. you've hit it all pretty much right on the head! I had 3 brothers that all played, went to my first game when I was 3 days old, and played myself from age 3-18. Hockey parents DEFINITELY earn their badges!!!

I actually wrote a poem about it for the parents of my hubby's team for their Senior Night in College... I was thinking of posting it on my blog sometime/somehow but I just have to figure out how to do it without someone stealing it then. All the moms were bawling by the end... haha. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too! :)

ps- that hockey mom is ridiculous. unfortunately, I have seen one too many of those. clearly, she is always like that... the people in the background don't even turn their heads! poor child.

April Westerhold said...

Ha! This made me laugh. I am a proud hockey mom. My son is 7 and we've been going since 3. I've written about hockey a few times but here is my favorite:

http://westerhold.blogspot.com/2010/02/kanins-first-love.html

New Follower!
april@Party of Five
http://www.westerhold.blogspot.com

April Westerhold said...

Ha! This made me laugh. I am a proud hockey mom. My son is 7 and we've been going since 3. I've written about hockey a few times but here is my favorite:

http://westerhold.blogspot.com/2010/02/kanins-first-love.html

New Follower!
april@Party of Five
http://www.westerhold.blogspot.com

Grace said...

I admire your fortitude and best wishes in earning all those badges.
I have to say I've seen mothers on soccer sidelines, baseball fields and other sporting events that remind me of the one in the video. I guess where there are sports, there will be those mothers out there that are back seat coaches.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh...sounds like you are going to be busy busy becoming a hockey mom through and through!!! I found your blog from FTLOB's hop!!