family            family            family            family

Poplin Blue....and a wedding too!

June 18, 2011

In the next couple of weeks, it will be my 8th wedding anniversary.  Since I waited almost six years to marry my husband....I have technically been living as a "Hockey Wife" for fourteen years!

I am sure I have mentioned before that I was a flight attendant while planning my wedding to my husband. I was based out of Boston...while my soon-to-be-husband was coaching in a city elsewhere.  As a typical bride-to-be does...I was pretty much in charge of planning the entire wedding.  We definitely worked together to choose the location, church, guests and reception site....and I was in charge of the remaining details.

Wedding colors: Sage green and Lavender


Wedding gown:  OBVIOUSLY!


Invitations, save-the-date cards, centerpieces, wedding programs, etc, etc.

I had envisioned my groom walking down the aisle in a black suit (we didn't want formal) a crisp white shirt, and a beautiful sage green tie to match my (seven) flower girls' dresses (thank you Target Easter dress selection).....

And so my story begins...

I was on a layover, and was headed toward the airport for another flight when I got a call from my fiance on my new cell phone....
Seriously...this was the "really cool" cell phone I had while I was a flight attendant!  It was so "small"...it fit in my carry-on front pocket!  (this will be important information...just wait!)

Anyhow... this is how that phone call conversation went....

"Hey hon, I am just headed to the airport, and I have two legs before I get home tonight....what are you up to?"

"I just bought a suit for the wedding."

"Oh great...besides, you can always use an extra black suit!"

"It's not black...it is Poplin Blue."

"What?"

"It is Poplin Blue, and I got a great deal on it.  I even picked up a shirt and a tie."

"What color is the tie?"

"Navy and gold in a diagonal stripe pattern."

I don't recall how the last part of the conversation went, as I was too busy picking up the shattered pieces of my wedding vision off the floor.  Of course part of me was pleased he had taken the initiative to go out and find a suit on his own...this meant he was excited about our wedding.  On the other hand (which was cut on a piece of shattered dream) I was not pleased with his choice of color selection.  I did have one question.....WHAT COLOR IS POPLIN BLUE?

As I waited in the hotel lobby to be taken to the airport, other members of my crew gathered, I asked them "What color do you think Poplin Blue would be?" (this will now be known as THE QUESTION)

Now if it were today in the year 2011, we all would have pulled out our iphones and googled the answer immediately...but my Nokia 5190 was the coolest phone between all of us, and it was no help.  

We arrived at the airport...but the only computers available were airline computers...which were basically using DOS...


We loaded the aircraft...but not before I had asked THE QUESTION to the pilots, the Customer Service Reps, the person loading my galley, and every passenger aboard the plane...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard Jet Poplin Blue Airlines..."

"The aircraft is equipped with emergency lighting that will illuminate a poplin shade of blue and lead you to your nearest exit......"

"We ask that you remain in your seats with your seatbelts fastened until this aircraft has reached a safe cruising altitude in the poplin blue sky..."

"We are pleased to be showing an inflight movie today for your entertainment.  Headphones can be found in your seat-back pocket.  Today's inflight movie is Poplin Blue Velvet starring Laura Dern and Dennis Hopper..."

I think you get the picture...and this is the picture I kept seeing in my head....
When I finally made it home, I was relieved to see that the Poplin Blue suit actually looked like this...
Although it wasn't what I had in mind....I managed to find a tie that had sage green and blue in it (the navy and gold tie was a definite NO!) and all was well in the end.  My husband still wears the Poplin Blue suit behind the bench...and I always smile when I see it.  It reminds me of the exciting days leading up to our wedding.  Besides...who needs a closet full of black suits?

In the next few weeks, I will be writing a post and this story will play an important role in it....stay tuned!

5 comments:

CMD said...

that old nokia phone was the coolest back in the day! I think I had a different cover to match every outfit I owned... haha.  I was expecting the dumb & dumber blue too... who knew?!

Your Sweet Sister said...

You stole the show that day...he could have been in sweats and no one would have noticed!

Laura said...

i was telling my husband today how i seriously looked forward to your blog popping up on my google reader with a new post because they are always so hilarious.... And yet again... you seem to come up with another archive story that's pretty freaking funny :) And because I just finished "planning" our wedding.. I totally felt this same way when my hubby decided to get pin striped pants.. (of course, they didn't end up being PINNED striped, but he described them as so...) and my chin about hit the floor. Poplin Blue is def a new one.. and totally the opposite of what I thought it was going to be too! :) 

Missy said...

Aw that story is so cute!! Also, I can only omagine how funny (but not for you ) it would have been to see the distress caused by the colour poplin blue haha!!

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

I had no idea what color poplin blue was either!  Glad it worked out and how fun that he still has the suit.  I love mementos like that :)